[drupal-support] AJAX and Drupal

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sat Jun 4 17:44:19 UTC 2005

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, NSK wrote:

>>instead of just hacking the source in order to empty the js file?
>

> echo "" > misc/drupal.js can hardly be considered hacking.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Gerhard

Many hosting services do not provide shell access.  Requiring shell commands
to do an install or set an option is a hack in my humble opinion.

Further thoughts on the broader topic:

We need to find a way to allow much more administrator customization without
requiring shell access.  Too often the reason for not adding admin option to
configure something is the valid and good desire to keep the number of admin
options to "manageable" size or the smallest size possible.  Perhaps what we
really need to do is look at ways to make the admin options more manageable
and understandable.  Much of that is human factors / interface usability work.

I would suggest that admin options be divided into the "usual" set of options
and a "power user / config every possible setting" set of options.  Perhaps
the latter merely sets lots of values for various variables, so that the
person doing the changing is really required to know what they are doing --
the equivalent of editing some of the static variables kept in settings.php.

Yet another simpler possibility is to add many more settings to settings.php
for these kinds of things.  Then all that is require of the admin is the
ability to edit the settings.php file and upload it to his/her hosted site,
something they must be able to do anyway to install Drupal.  No command line
needed.

Then settings.php might have a line that says:

$ajax_subroutines = "misc/drupal.js";		// if blank, JS is disabled.

--
Chris Johnson