[drupal-support] Article Content and taxonomies

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Wed Jun 8 16:17:53 UTC 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Christopher Taylor wrote:

> 3. Taxonomy, Issue
> Term:
> Volume 1, Issue 1, Beginning 06-02-2005
> Term: Volume 2, Issue 2, Beginning 06-06-2005

putting structured information like this into a taxonomy is not always
the most efficient approach.  One problem is that the taxonomy will
grow without limit.

There is also an interface design issue.  People do very poorly
navigating and use long lists of items.  While there are occasionally
good reasons to create long taxonomy sets,  it is something I usually
try to avoid.

Since you do have well-structured information, another approach would
be to use flexinode and create a new node type with several data
fields, including a Volume data field (for the Volume number), Issue
data field, date data field, and so on.  You would, of course, also
create a text area field that will hold the article.

For each node, you would also classify it according to one or more of
the other taxonomies you have.

Also keep in mind that Drupal's full text search capability is your
friend.  People are very familiar with search engines like Google, and
are relatively unfamiliar with searching by rigid classification
schemes, in which you have to understand the classification scheme to
make good use of it.

If most people can find most things they will want to search for using
full text search, that's probably good enough.

Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
Information architect

Design Nine provides technology master planning services, community
network planning,  technology audits, and telecommunications project
management to communities and organizations trying to make wise
technology and telecommunications expenditures.  Design Nine represents
the interests of the organization or community, rather than the
interests of vendors.

Visit the Design Nine News page for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

Design Nine, Inc.                        http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia