[drupal-support] deep integration with an existing site...

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Wed Jun 22 07:59:45 UTC 2005

Hello

Unless you know a lot about Drupal, this is very hard to do. Even if you know
drupal well enough it is not easy.

Drupal is not a "script" downloaded from hotscripts.com or so. It is a full
features self-enclosed CMS. Meaning, it is not some chunks of PHP you can
include here or there, but its a complete suit that needs to be installed as
a whole.

Drupal, however, servers very well as development platform. You could build
your custom application on top of the codebase of Drupal, quite easily. In
your case you then would build an application that handles the mentioned URLs
and "pipes" them on to either your existing application, or to drupal.

The other method, however might prove the easiest: Do not wrap Drupal in your
application, but wrap your application in Drupal. Just write a
my_application.module that calls your application; This will integrate
seamlessly.

Op woensdag 22 juni 2005 06:14, schreef D_C:
> I am wondering about how to wrap Drupal into an existing site.
> I run a site which is like a big database, with lots of URLs that are
> basically queries; like a dictionary...

>> site.com?tag=lookupWord

You could much easier do a rewrite with mod_rewrite, and rewrite
site.com?tag=lookupWord into search/node/lookupWord. Drupal will perform a
search.

> how could I get Drupal to respond to these requests? I'd like Drupal
> "pages" to be wrapped around these URL, with all the commenting features
> etc.
> I can insert my own "page" to pull out data/DB queries using a template.

Like said above: a my_application.module, with a new node type called my_node
(off course give them better names), that calls a database on one of drupals
many API calls should do.

> But I need unique Drupal nodes for each of these pages, so the comments
> stick to each page.
>
> Any thoughts/pointers on how to achieve this? Is this a flexinode project?

Regards,
 Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]