[drupal-support] use of db_rewrite_sql to change the "order by"

Ken Dow Me at KenDow.Com
Fri Jun 24 17:14:15 UTC 2005

FWIW, I think the ability to control the order of items within a
taxonomy is extremely useful. I was quite surprised, when I first
began working with taxonomies, to discover there was no way to
specify the sort (chronological by creation/modification,
alphanumeric by title or an arbitrary field) or the order (ascending,
descending). I run into this requirement all the time, so it doesn't
seem specialized to me.

On Jun 24, 2005, at 1:02 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Dan Robinson wrote:
>

>> well what we are trying to do is introduce a weighted sort for
>> taxonomy
>> pages - this is useful for websites with a relatively small number of
>> nodes where they want an explicitly ordered display.
>>

> Sounds wuite specialized to me.
>

>> The weighting part
>> is easy.  It would be nice to intercept the sql and rewrite it.
>> Otherwise it seems like the only way to do this is to duplicate the
>> taxonomy display code yada yada.
>>

> I think the only thing you'd need to duplicate is the
> taxonomy_term_page
> function.
>

>>  Is this a reasonable approach?  Could db_rewrite_sql be jiggered
>> relatively easily?
>>

> I think it should be possible to introduce an "order by" element.
>
> Needs some refactoring of db_rewrite_sql and _db_rewrite_sql.
>
> Cheers,
>     Gerhard

Ken

AIM kendow at mac.com | MSN Me at KenDow.Com | 519-371-6433

Nobody is smart enough to be wrong all the time.
- Ken Wilber