[drupal-support] use of db_rewrite_sql to change the "order by"

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Fri Jun 24 17:21:09 UTC 2005

ok - thanks for the quick responses - see additional comments below -

>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Dan Robinson wrote:
>

>>well what we are trying to do is introduce a weighted sort for taxonomy
>>pages - this is useful for websites with a relatively small number of
>>nodes where they want an explicitly ordered display.
>>

>Sounds wuite specialized to me.

do you think?  Maybe my approach is wrong.  Take a look at:

http://npc.civicactions.net/prod/about/team

Where there are nodes here that represent "team" members  - there could
be 6-12.  They would be sorted by their importance in the organizational
hierarchy, not alphabetically or by order of entry.  So I want to be
able to set a weight and have it sort correctly.  It seems like this
pattern is found in many, many websites.

>>The weighting part
>>is easy.  It would be nice to intercept the sql and rewrite it.
>>Otherwise it seems like the only way to do this is to duplicate the
>>taxonomy display code yada yada.
>>

>I think the only thing you'd need to duplicate is the taxonomy_term_page
>function.

but I would have to create an entirely new module correct?  There isn't
a good way to just "override" the taxonomy_term_page.

>> Is this a reasonable approach?  Could db_rewrite_sql be jiggered
>>relatively easily?
>>

>I think it should be possible to introduce an "order by" element.
>
>Needs some refactoring of db_rewrite_sql and _db_rewrite_sql.

ok - thanks for pointing me there - if this approach seems like the
right way to do what I want that's where I will start.

Thanks,

Dan