[drupal-support] Making a Drupal website speak

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Sep 2 13:41:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Kobus Myburgh wrote:

> 3. As I said - sometimes you don't want to speak the exact text than
> what you print on the page, as per my login example below.

> 5. I want the site to work for ANYONE, not just those with screen
> readers. This site must talk for someone even without a screen reader.
>
> Now, maybe my route is still not optimal, and introduces problems that
> would otherwise not be present, but considering my circumstances and my
> requirements, it would defeat the purpose to let the client's T2S handle
> this.
>
> The question now is - when I get this to work (oh, and I will...) should
> I contribute it to Drupal, if it is not optimal?

Kobus, I think you are missing something. :)

The way I would approach the problem is to treat text that needs to be
read to the blind as a separate language. I would try to redirect them to
that site based on user agent or by giving a link on the top of the main
site. The site would share the content with the main site if this is
desirable. You can then simply create PO files for that site and let the
screenreader do the rest. If you need a different formatting for links,
you can hack the l() function.

Is that a good idea or am I off the track?

Cheers,
	Gerhard