[drupal-support] Making a Drupal website speak

Kobus Myburgh itbjdm at puknet.puk.ac.za
Fri Sep 2 13:09:10 UTC 2005

Ber,

The reason why I am going this route is because:

1. Many people can't afford commercial screen readers.
2. Most of the screenreaders in the open-source/freeware market that I've evaluated simply sucks, to say the least.
3. As I said - sometimes you don't want to speak the exact text than what you print on the page, as per my login example below.
4. Most of the times, a person who has never used a computer for more than a simple word processing task before (like my blind girlfriend), understanding the open-source movement will be a daunting ask. She doesn't even understand Windows, how will she understand that? It must "just work" when she opens her browser. No questions asked, no nothing.
5. I want the site to work for ANYONE, not just those with screen readers. This site must talk for someone even without a screen reader.

Now, maybe my route is still not optimal, and introduces problems that would otherwise not be present, but considering my circumstances and my requirements, it would defeat the purpose to let the client's T2S handle this.

The question now is - when I get this to work (oh, and I will...) should I contribute it to Drupal, if it is not optimal?

Regards,

Kobus

>>> berdrupal at tiscali.be 9/2/2005 2:40 PM >>>
Kobus.

I read myself into KDEs text-to speech stuff. And frankly I am very surprised
by your route.

FRom what I learned, modern T2S synthesisers deal with (valid) XHTML in a very
good way. In other words: just use the proper XHTML, optionally with Speech
CSS and let the clientside software handle your sites.
I fail to see why you would want to present users with speech on server side,
if they can very well deal with valid pages.

Mohammed al-shar, welcome. I am very sure you will be a very valuable addition
to the Drupal team. People who have good (first-hand) knowledge about speech
and web, or braille terminals and XHTML can be of great help to improve
Drupal even more. Welcome!

Ber