[drupal-support] Problems with multiple sites, 1 codebase using subfolders

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkeydata.com
Sat Sep 10 20:43:33 UTC 2005

Hello, all,

I've been wrestling with this one for a few days, and I feel like I must
be missing something obvious.

I'm trying to install multiple sites off one codebase, and have the
url's appear as if the sites are in subdirectories -- ie

   1. my.domain.com/dir1
   2. my.domain.com/dir2
   3. my.domain.com/dir3
   4. etc

In the past, I have set up multiple sites off one codebase with no
problems -- these sites, however, were subdomains (my.domain.com,
sub.domain.com, sub2.domain.com, etc)

On this install, I can get a site up and running for the main domain
name (my.domain.com) by setting up a directory within sites named
my.domain.com with the settings.php file configured correctly.

However, when I change the directory name in the sites folder to
"my.domain.com.dir1" and make the necessary adjustments (change the
$base_url) in the settings.php file and try to navigate to
"http//my.domain.com/dir1", I receive the following error:

|Warning: main(sites/default/settings.php): failed to open stream: No
such file or directory in
/home/dwf/public_html/comp/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 642
Warning: main(): Failed opening 'sites/default/settings.php' for
inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in
/home/dwf/public_html/comp/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 642
Unsupported database type|

Line 642 of bootstrap.inc is the line that calls for the settings.php
file, so it appears that, somehow, the settings.php file is not being seen.

The site is hosted at site5, on a Linux server with Apache 1.3, php
4.4.0, and MySql 4.0.25.

As always, any help/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill.