[support] Drupal 4.7.0 RC2 available

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Sat Apr 15 18:00:57 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Salman Al-Rahma <smhar at gawab.com> wrote:
> Steven Wittens wrote:
> > The second release candidate of Drupal 4.7 is now available.
> I am thinking of upgrading my 4.6.6 drupal site to 4.7.rc2, but since I
> am using several modules.. I am wondering?
> 1) there are no 4.7.rc2 modules. Should I use the ones for 4.7.x?
Depending on the module, yes.

> 2) some modules are only available for 4.6.6, ie i18n module, shall I
> use cvs version?
Again, it depends on the module.  I don't know specifically about the
i18n module.  I recommend that you first decide if you have time to
invest and possibly waste testing out the modules and upgrade path.
If you do, then create a test site and try to follow the upgrade
process to get your new site up.  If it works, then you can repeat the
process on your production server.  If some modules don't work right
or something else fails...you could try to figure out why and create
patches until it does work and then everyone would really thank you!

> 3) what will happen to my site when 4.7 final is released? will I need
> to re-download and re-install all the modules and reconfigure them
> again? what about the ones from cvs? will they be be available in stable
> release?
It depends on a lot of things.  When 4.7 final comes out it will
_probably_ just be a simple upgrade, but it is likely that there will
be small changes in core and in many modules in the next few
weeks/months as modules get revisited, upgraded, and bug-fixed for a
4.7 compatible release, so that process of checking that you have the
latest stable version could be tricky.

> Or should I just wait until 4.7 final is released!

I guess I'll say it again: it depends :)

In my case, I've been dabbling with 4.7 and upgrading test sites
sporadically with mixed results (some worked fine, others...not so
much).

Regards,
Greg

--
Growing Venture Solutions | Denver, CO
Technology Solutions for Communities and Small Businesses