[support] themes problem

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Aug 24 04:36:56 UTC 2006

Actually that's already possible.

First of all, what you're suggesting is essentially just CSS changes.  Those
don't require major changes.  Turning on or off borders on something should
be done via CSS.  That does not even scratch the surface of what Drupal
themes are capable of doing.  Have a look at

http://www.drupalsites.com/

It's a gallery of sites built with Drupal.  Notice how many of those sitse
look nothing like a "normal" Drupal site?  That wouldn't be possible without
the flexibility in Drupal's theming system.  That flexibility, however, comes
at the cost of complexity.  The more things you can tweak, the more
combinations there are to deal with.

However, if all you want to do is vary the style of a theme a bit, you can
already do that with "subthemes" now.  Have a look at the stock chameleon and
marvin themes.  One is a "subtheme" of the other, and inherits it's
templates.  It then just overrides the CSS.

Is that more along the lines of what you're looking for?

Themes are not something that's configured via an admin tool, by nature.
They're simply too complex for that.  But at the CSS/HTML template level, you
really can do nearly anything if you're willing to sit down and do so.