[support] PHP 4 or 5?

Anton anton.list at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 02:14:32 UTC 2006

On 29/08/06, C. R. Oldham <cro at ncbt.org> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was a PHP user from way, way back when it was still known as PHP/Fi.
> Various things have taken me away from it, but I am now going to migrate
> some of my work to Drupal.
>
> I am having trouble making the choice between PHP 4 and PHP 5.  I use
> Debian, but often roll my own packages or use www.backports.org.  Can
> someone with more recent experience than I comment on what pitfalls I might
> face if I choose 5?

As a Debian user I would just pick the standard PHP4 package for
simplicity. I would only bother with PHP5 if I wanted to do other dev
work that needed it (eg anything OO or XSLT based).

Contrib module problems seem a little more prevalent on PHP5 - but
that could just be my warped view of things :)

There is one (or maybe two?) XSLT based module that needs PHP5, but
thats the only one I've stumbled across.

--
Cheers
Anton