[support] PHP 4 or 5?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Aug 29 03:11:29 UTC 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 10:17, C. R. Oldham wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was a PHP user from way, way back when it was still known as PHP/Fi.
> Various things have taken me away from it, but I am now going to migrate
> some of my work to Drupal.
>
> I am having trouble making the choice between PHP 4 and PHP 5.  I use
> Debian, but often roll my own packages or use www.backports.org.  Can
> someone with more recent experience than I comment on what pitfalls I might
> face if I choose 5?
>
> --cro

In general, Drupal should be fine with either.  Personally I run it mostly on
PHP 4, because my web host has that and my home server is Debian Sarge, which
is PHP 4.  My desktop/dev box is Debian Sid, however, which has been running
PHP 5 for quite some time.  The only problem is if you try playing with an
XTemplate-based theme, as that breaks in PHP 5.  If you're using Drupal 4.7,
you shouldn't have an problems.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012