[support] Upgrading through several versions

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Dec 12 06:18:54 UTC 2006

The 4.6.x versions are all bug fixes.  You don't need to go through each one
individually.

Step one is back everything up. :-)  Then login as the admin (uid 1).  Then
copy over the new files for 4.7 (4.7.4 is current), replacing the old files
from 4.6.  Do the same for each of your contrib modules, as well as your
theme.  You may even want to switch to Bluemarine before doing so, just to
make sure you have a working theme on the other end.

Then go to /update.php.  You do have to be logged in as uid 1 already here.
Go through the database upgrade process.  It should tell you which modules
you're going to upgrade.  Let it do its dirty work.  When it's done, go
through and make sure everything is working.  Depending on the modules you
have installed you may need to tweak a few things, particularly in the theme.
You may actually want to do all of this offline on a test site first so that
you can work out any kinks and then cut the site over to the new one.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson