How to make Drupal more bloggy [Re: [support] massive blog hosting]

blogdiva at culturekitchen.com blogdiva at culturekitchen.com
Sat Feb 4 18:41:26 UTC 2006

On Feb 04 2006, at 08:59, dondi_2006 wrote:
> But will the users (and the blog posts they create under this Drupal
> configuration) have the same pingback and trackback capabilities and
> facilities available under WordPress or any other "Blog-only"
> software?

Yes, and even better because you can queue trackbacks by default and,
in effect, weed out the splogs.

> I asked similar questions a couple of weeks ago, even on the
> forums, but frankly I haven't understood yet if and how much Drupal-
> generated pages
> can behave like "standard" blog pages, as in:
>
> *) be just as quickly and transparently seen/indexed by Technorati and
>    other blog-oriented search engines

You have to do your own footwork with services like Technorati as
well as set up the blogs with TBs and pings. If I were you, I'd take
a look at the distribution put together by CivicSpaceLabs

www.civicspacelabs.org

It has everything you need to use Drupal as a community blog
platform. I have added to my set up the following modules :

TAXONOMY-ON-THE-FLY : Allows bloggers to add categories from within a
blogpost. Unfortunately nobody has come up with a del.icio.us like
module that would allow readers to tag the posts.

TAGALICIOUS : Creates a del.icio.us-like weighted list of tags.

USERPOSTS : Outputs a list of the blogger's posts on their profile page

ARCHIVE : Use it if you want to have archives by date (I personally
do not use it so as not to confuse people with the calendar)

ATOM : I still do not understand why it's an ad-in and not a default,
but whatever

TAXONOMY DHTML : Nice and easy way to create tag trees on a page of
easy navigation

LIVE DISCUSSIONS : Most commented posts will appear on this list

I am also using PHP customized blocks for my "Counter Talk" section
which is the latest blog posts on the site with author's name and
date published

LINK SERVICES- creates post-to links to digg, delicious, technorati, etc

NOTIFY : For subscribed  users and readers; it allows them to get
notified by email of new content on the site.

NODELIST : A list of all entries, alphabetical

SCHEDULER: Needs cleaning up, unfortunately it sets the time as per
the server and not the user; but allows you to post date posts a la
TypePad

SEND : An email this page form.

SMILEYS

SUBSCRIPTION : You can subscribe to entire blogs or single posts

QUICKTAGS : For basic HTML because TInyMCE sucks. Why is it nobody
has managed to a carbon-coy HMTL widget of what SixApart has created
for their blogs? Why oh why oh why!

I use tons other modules, but these are, I think, the most basic.

I have done a lot of customization to my site design as well because
I developed my themes, which are based on Marvin2k PHPTemplate,
before the new CivicSpace theme distros. The CSL themes include an
admin section that definitely creates a more bloggy experience with
the site. For my sites, I use a lot the the blocks/boxes' peek-a-boo
features. SO for example, only admin blocks appear in admin sections.
Same with the Navigation and Content Form links. Ive separated the
editing links from the navigation block and make all these appear
only in user or content add/editing pages.

Just drop-by www.culturekitchen.com, open an account and see for
yourself. Give it a spin :)

I have not used yet the MacroTags module but I am seriously
considering taking it for a spin.

Best,

liza sabater
Culture + Politics + Technology
www.culturekitchen.com

New York grassroots news and activism
www.dailygotham.com

Personal Blog
www.lizasabater.com

Feminist Bloggers Network
www.blogsheroes.com

AIM - cultkitdiva
SKYPE - lizasabater
TEL - 646.552.7365
NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. If
Samuel Alito, he who believes in giving unlimited power to the
President, is confirmed to the Supreme Court; this administration
will have found the means to continue spying on us with impunity. You
have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of
President George W. Bush and Vice-President Richard Cheney, for high
crimes and misdemeanors.