[support] User File Space?

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 00:25:37 UTC 2006

On 12/15/05, Earnest Berry <earnest.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jiann-Ming,
>
> Yes, drupal can do this. There is a setting in the admin section that allows
> for 'private' downloads, in which they can't just know the path to download
> it. Druplicate file names are taken care of. Each file has a 'title', which
> can be the same, however, the actual stored name is unique. The title is
> automatically defaulted to the unique name, but the user can change the
> 'title' of the file. Hope this answer helps. Oh, and of course, drupal has
> user/password capability, etc.

I'm to the point of my website development with Drupal where I need to
implement user file space, where users can upload and download files,
but only view files that they have permissions to.  I've looked at the
filemanager module (http://drupal.org/project/filemanager) and the
seperate attachment module (http://drupal.org/node/10245).  The
filemanager module seems to be what I need.  And, even though the
attachment module uses it, it doesn't seem to employ the public and
private file feature of the filemanager module.

I've also tried creating a flexinode and adding the "user group"
attribute, but that doesn't seem to work as expected.

I also found this post (http://drupal.org/node/25623) asking the same
question.  Am I missing something easy with Drupal file protection?

>  - Souvent

Jiann-Ming Su