[support] New Install Problem: Access Denied

Kory Hamzeh kory at avatar.com
Sat Feb 11 20:59:11 UTC 2006

I'm a newbie when it comes to drupal and MySQL, but I've been developing
software under unix/linux for 20 years. I'm running Fedora Core 4.0,
MySQL 4.1.11, and installed drupal 4.6.5. I followed all of the steps to
setup the initial user's list in MySQL, and the steps to create a drupal
mysql user and database. I have set $db_url in sites/default/setting.php
to:

Mysql://drupalusername:drupalpassword@fullhostname/drupaldatabasename

I've set:

$base_url="http://fullhostname";

Of course these values are changed for the e-mail, but they are the
correct values as the names imply.

The problem I have is when I point my browser to the drupal directory, I
get the following error in the browser window:

Access denied for user 'drupaluser'@'fullhostname' (using password: YES)

I can view a test index.html in the web root directory, so I know apache
is up and running. I get do a "mysqladmin version
--password=rootpassword" to talk to the mysqldemon and that is running.
The basic mysql test show the databases are there.

Considering I did not get any errors while configuring everything, I
must have misunderstood something. I realize there are probably hundreds
of things that I could have done wrong, but can I get some pointers or
things to try? I've double checked everything several times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Kory