[support] New Install Problem: Access Denied

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Feb 11 21:34:54 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 14:59, Kory Hamzeh wrote:

> Mysql://drupalusername:drupalpassword@fullhostname/drupaldatabasename
>
> I've set:
>
> $base_url="http://fullhostname";
>
> Of course these values are changed for the e-mail, but they are the
> correct values as the names imply.
>
> The problem I have is when I point my browser to the drupal directory, I
> get the following error in the browser window:
>
> Access denied for user 'drupaluser'@'fullhostname' (using password: YES)
>
> I can view a test index.html in the web root directory, so I know apache
> is up and running. I get do a "mysqladmin version
> --password=rootpassword" to talk to the mysqldemon and that is running.
> The basic mysql test show the databases are there.
>
> Considering I did not get any errors while configuring everything, I
> must have misunderstood something. I realize there are probably hundreds
> of things that I could have done wrong, but can I get some pointers or
> things to try? I've double checked everything several times.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Kory

Some things to try:

Is the "Mysql://" part of the connection string capitalized like that?  It may
be case sensitive (I'm not sure).

Can you log in on the console to that specific MySQL user?  Try:

mysql -u drupaluser -h fullhostname -p drupaldatabasename

Enter the password when prompted.  (The -p tells it to ask.  You can also use
-pdrupalpassword, note the lack of a space, to specify it on the command
line.)  Make sure you do that from the computer where Drupal itself is
running, if it's different than the database server.

If you can't log in that way, then the problem is with the MySQL user.  You
may need to login to MySQL as root and enter "Flush Privileges" (that
actually saves your changes), or the user may be misconfigured.  There's a
lot of things that can be wrong with a MySQL user. :-)

If that does work, try a test PHP script that does nothing but connect to the
server, open the database, and run a simple select.  If that doesn't work,
then the issue is PHP, not Drupal itself.  If that does work, then the issue
is with Drupal, and I'm out of suggestions at the moment. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson