[support] Ping and Drupal modules

Bruce Whealton brucewhealton at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 14:31:02 UTC 2006

I use the cPanel to install Drupal sites and have no limit on the databases that can be used.  The shared database option, from what I read, was for sites where the number of databases is limited to a small number, correct?  It seems easier to just setup different Drupal installs.

  That being said, how can I build a "community" as it were with other sites?  Suppose someone on the list, for example, had a site that had similar focus to a site of mine.  How do we build an extended "community" or "Community Website(s)?"  Specifically, I'm here referring to the use of the Drupal core module.

  Are there other tools, aka modules for creating "community" sites, recognizing that indeed Drupal is made to be used in a "Community website?"  Again this could be extended functionality within a single Drupal install or among other Drupal sites?

  Also, I wanted to see about setting up the site to ping specific sites, similar to how a blog would do so, or any syndicated site?  Are there a number of different sites that I might want to ping?  And how do I tell Drupal, my drupal install(s), to ping these sites.
  Thanks in advance,
  Bruce

Karthik <narakasura at gmail.com> wrote:
  > I've been meaning to write to ask if someone could better explain for me
> the use of the Drupal module. I know basically what it does but how would
> one link with other specific sites? Suppose I wanted to have 3 drupal
> installs of mine, in different locations all allow the users to login with
> one login for all 3 sites? How do I setup the Drupal core module to do
> this?
> Or to work with other drupal sites?

You are very likely better off setting up a "multi-site" with
appropriately shared tables. Drupal ID (Drupal module) will require a
login of the form:
username at site-A.com when logging into site B and vice versa.

hth
-K

Bruce Whealton - Webmaster/Designer/publisher/Writer
admin at TriangleWebServices.com
http://trianglewebservices.com/
Street Exposure - Street Newspaper
http://wordsalad.net/StreetExposure/