[support] Category/Taxonomy lists

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 19:34:57 UTC 2006

On 2/26/06, Jason Flatt <drupal at oadae.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 26 February 2006 10:09 am, Bruce Whealton wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >      A visitor to my site was asking if Drupal could do something with its
> > vocabulary.  He was showing me a LiveJournal feature of using Tags.  These
> > would correspond, from my observations to Vocabularies and vocabulary
> > terms.  Anyway, on this site, there is a display, where a menu on Drupal
> > might be, or a block on Drupal.  And the display lists the Tags (vocab
> > terms in Drupal) with a link on each one.  By clicking on a link from among
> > these Tags (aka Vocabulary terms in Drupal) one can see articles, stories,
> > etc. which have those tags in the entry (aka in the node in drupal). 1)
> > Can this be done in Drupal, and how?  I know it can, and have looked
> > through a number of Taxonomy modules, along with a few other modules that
> > caught my attention.  I'm just not sure which one I might want to use and
> > the descriptions don't seem clear enough as to which module might actually
> > do this.  Any suggestions?
>
> It might help to have a link to the site for a visual clue, but I think the
> Taxonomy Menu module will get you what you want:
> http://drupal.org/project/taxonomy_menu

I agree an example link would be useful.  I have implemented this by
using menu module and adding menu items into my menu that point to
"taxonomy/term/10"

> >   2)  Here's a related example, the user has setup links for each of her
> > "Interests" at: http://drupal.org/user/24967
> >   I guess Interests would be a custom field on the Profile page.  The
> > interests link to users that have the same interests.   Can this be done in
> > Drupal and what modules might do this?
>
> I actually don't know how they did that.  I would like to know myself, but I
> haven't had the time to really put some thought and research into it.  My
> suspicion is that it uses the profile module and some custom programming.

I don't think any custom coding is involved.  It's just the profile
module and some checkbox fields.  If a user selects/saves a checkbox
then it becomes a link to a pagenated list of all other users who have
selected that checkbox.

Greg