[support] excessive bandwith usage

J. Antas antas at e-healthexpert.org
Mon Jan 16 20:28:15 UTC 2006

Larry wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> My site appears to be using too much bandwith. Iam on a shared hosting
> server and my provider has told me I am using in excess of 16% whilst
> I am only allowed 3%
> It also appears there about 50,000 visitors a day to the site  which
> is a bit alrming as I have less than 300 members,
>
> What modules or scripts do you guys think are causing this excessive
> bandwith usage?
> I am running drupal 4.63

1. In your web server goto the Drupal root dir (sometimes /public_html)
and delete "xmlrpc.php", or rename it to "xmlrpc.bak",

2. Get rid of the "Feedback" module if you have one,

3. In "Adminsiter"->"Modules" uncheck:
a) blogapi
b) drupal
c) ping

4. In "Administer" -> "settings" put
a) "Auto-throttle on anonymous users" = 10
b) "Auto-throttle on authenticated users" = 20
c) "Auto-throttle probability limiter:" = 5%

Then let us know if it is better.

P.