[support] I can't believe you can't add content from the command line...

dondi_2006 dondi_2006 at libero.it
Mon Jul 3 08:53:50 UTC 2006

Answering to both Eric and Laura:

thanks for your suggestions and comments.
Here is my answer. Nothing personal, of course,
just an attempt to explain better what I am
trying to do, why, and why your proposals (with one
exception) are not
applicable in my case.

Laura wrote

>There are a number of import modules available....
>I'm assuming the developers list pointed you to the api
>documentation.

I did not try the developers list because I contacted _directly_ the
authors of several modules, including those already mentioned, and
some drupal users posting messages like mine. Since this did NOT get
any effect, I am pretty sure asking the developers -list_ won't change
anything, but I might try...

>If you want a desktop solution, you might start with something like
>Performancing or even ecto.

But this is not what I call desktop "solutions". The Performancing
plugin, Ecto (which btw I can't run natively on Linux), all the other
stand-alone clients like bloGtK or, for that matter, the web interface
of drupal or any other CMS around are just PATCHES, HACKS from this
point of view. More exactly, they're stuff which *is* essential, but
not a solution to serious, continuous use, or posting long texts.
I don't want to use this kind of programs.

I'll soon have a 21" inches monitor. There already are real, full
screen word processors and HTML editors, with spell checking, macros
and lots of other goodies. It's combining these two things that makes
me much more productive, not a faster CPU.

I refuse to not use these *real* programs full-screen, in favour of some crippled text editor, or to paste _manually_, every time, what I
just wrote in a real word processor in a box slightly bigger than a
cell phone display.
I am looking for  a script solution so I can then connect it to a macro
inside a word processor, or a local cron job. Without ever looking to
any "blogging client" or web interface.

Enough ranting. Some practical comments:

Laura wrote:

>The reason this is not just a matter of inserting content into a
>table is because Drupal uses more than one table to manage the site.

I was aware of this, but was hoping to find some Python or Perl
modules already doing the low level work of knowing such tables and
updating them.

Eric wrote:
>Have a look at the mailhandler.module, which allows creation of
>content from email. This is probably the closest thing to what you're
>after, and could probably be modified to create content from the
<filesystem.

I had already looked at mailhandler. I was trying to not use it
because adding another server (IMAP) or modifying the configuration of
the existing one looked "dirty" and prone to security holes (extra
accounts, etc...). As I said, I'd rather upload stuff via ssh than
email. But you're probably right, if mailhandler can be hacked to run
on the local file system it _could_ be a solution.

Thanks,
	O.