[support] I can't believe you can't add content from the command line...

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Jul 3 15:50:16 UTC 2006

On 7/3/06, dondi_2006 <dondi_2006 at libero.it> wrote:
> > The rich client side XUL administrator summer of code
> > project (I believe) gets closer to what you are looking
> > to find.
>
> That looks like the performancing firefox plugin.
> Something great when you have to post short stuff, once
> in a while, certainly not for "volume" production. As such,
> I'll surely use it when ready. Thanks for signalling it.

Well, you were bemoaning the lack of a "real, full, screen word
processors and HTML editors, with spell checking, macros and lots of
other goodies."  That client (and performancing and...) gives most of
what you were complaining about.

It would be handy to know more details about your situation:
How often you want to post new content?
How often you need to edit old content?
How long the posts are and how much markup you are including?

> > Drupal sites are generally used for community
> > content where it is created by many people.
> > In that case, it makes more sense to use an in-browser
> > WYSIWYG editor.
>
> I disagree here. I don't think the intended *number* of
> authors matters at all.
> What I see is that Drupal, Wordpress, and basically every
> blog/cms I know of is implicitly designed for author(s)
> who publish (very) short texts, only once in a while.

Ok, I'll re-assert my point.  Imagine your requirements in a multi
publisher environment.  Multiple people editing multiple text files on
their client side and running scripts that directly import them into
the system.  That's what you want, right?  Well, how do you control
versioning?  How do you control the individual preferences of each
user to write their text files one way or another using one editor or
another?  How do you sync a local copy back with the server copy
(since there are multiple editors...)?  I'm not sure I've ever
heard/seen anyone do what you're talking about.

You don't have to spend much time looking around before you see that
people use all kinds of CMS for a wide variety of tasks including very
long and highly formatted documents that get revised on a regular
basis (have you seen the drupal handbooks, for instance?).  And they
do all that right within the browser.

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com