[support] Failure executing any page

Ivan Boothe, Genocide Intervention Network Boothe at genocideintervention.net
Mon Jul 10 23:00:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm running Drupal 4.7.2 and was working with CCK when things
suddenly stopped working. I realize that CCK (and views, which I was
also using) are not yet core, but at the time this error began I was
simply adding and editing nodes, so I really don't know where this
thing came from.

Anyway, when I try to execute any page (basically anything in which I
click a button) I get a blank page. If I reload the page or hit enter
in the address bar, the action is executed but I get errors popping
up, specifically the "cannot modify header information" error, which
from prior experience I know probably is indicative of some other
unknown error.

So then I made the big mistake, which was that I thought if I logged
in as user #1 I could troubleshoot things more exactly ... silly me,
I can't log in because, of course, the form isn't being executed.

Since I can't log in there's not a lot I can do. But looking at the
watchdog table in the database I'm getting the following entries each
time I try to log in:

> Session opened for <em>[user1]</em>. [that's good!]
>
> session_regenerate_id(): Cannot send session cookie - headers
> already sent by (output started at /var/www/[mypath]/themes/
> [mytheme]/template.php:50) in /var/www/[mypath]/modules/user.module
> on line 943. [not so good]
>
> Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output
> started at /var/www/darfurscores/themes/[mytheme]/template.php:50)
> in /var/www/[mypath]/includes/common.inc on line 266.

Line 943 in the user.module is, as it specifies,
session_regenerate_id, which I gather tries to set the cookie that
marks me as logged in. Line 266 in common.inc is in the drupal_goto
function, where it tries to invoke the header.

If anyone has any ideas at this point, I would love to hear them.
Some specific things that would be helpful for me to gather more
information:

- Anyone have any ideas how I could log in or set that cookie without
going through that form?

- Anyone know what row in which table controls what theme is set?
Since I'm using a custom theme, and the problem could be in the
template, switching to another theme might solve it or at least allow
me to investigate.

- Is there anywhere else I could look for besides watchdog to figure
out what the errors are?

- Are there any good database analysis/repair tools, in case it's
some kind of corrupted database entry?

- I tried turning off all modules (everything except the required
ones, even core) and that didn't fix it. I turned them all back on
before I tried switching users, so I could turn them all back off
directly in the database if that would be a good idea. Should I try
removing the non-core module tables in the database completely? Is
there a list somewhere of the tables and rows that CCK and views
(though I think if there were a problem it would be CCK) create/
affect? Some are obvious, but I imagine they create entries in
various tables that I might not think to look in...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as right now I have a very
pretty, very nonfunctioning site...

--ivan