[support] Dynamic Menus That Work OK Without Javascript

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Fri Jul 21 00:02:36 UTC 2006

Just closing the loop on this.  Randal - I assume you didn't ever
solve (or maybe you did solve it, but didn't share your solution).

On 6/16/06, Randal <digitas at panix.com> wrote:
> I will look at Nice Menus to see how easily it can be hacked to do this. Obviously what I need is a CSS statement written to the page (not in javascript) that opens a specific menu section vertically when you are in the section that that menu item represents.

Anyway, I just noticed the activemenu module which is a part of the
jstools module and activemenu does exactly what you want (I think).

http://drupal.org/node/57285

"Activemenus makes the standard Drupal navigation menu expandable.
Clickable, highlighted regions are added to the menu. When a collapsed
menu item is expanded, the child menu items are loaded dynamically
through AJAX."

The only problem I have with it is that it uses AJAX to pull down the
expanded menu information.  On a busy site that can result in a jagged
movement and require the user to pause unnecessarily.

Anyway, in my quick tests it worked -- with and without javascript --
in IE6 and Firefox1.5.

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com