[support] Images from files/images can not be accessed! (Using drupal 4.7.2)

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Tue Jun 13 18:53:21 UTC 2006

On Jun 13, 2006, at 2:12 AM, Kobus Myburgh wrote:

>> Unfortunately it is still not visible on the web, it's as if it
> doesn't
>> exist. I turned of clean urls, but that doesn't help.
>>
>> It seems like a simple problem, but I can not figure it out, nor find
>
>> anything on drupal.org. Any ideas?
>
> It seems that your images is set to private downloads. I had a similar
> issue before, and to overcome this I had to switch images back to
> public
> downloads. I thought it was a problem with inline.module, but
> apparently
> it is not - so perhaps this is a bug in Drupal's code? Can someone
> else
> confirm this?

As a matter of course, I almost always set up sites with private
downloads. What's more, I set the files directory one level above the
root (e.g., "../filesgohere). I've not had problems with attachments
or images appearing, not even in RSS feeds.

What I have seen cause display problems is changing the public/
private setting or changing the file directory after the fact -- or
even after configuring the uploads module.

It would be nice if the filesystem could dynamically track all files.
Barring that, a contrib module idea might be to find all uploaded
files in the directory system, and move them to the folder where
current settings demand. But that's another matter....

Question: Does the image not display even if you use the html option
to insert the image using image assist?

Question: Do you have the image assist filter enabled for your input
formats?

These would help rule out these issues. As it is, though, you might
be having no problem with the filesystem -- especially if your image
is showing up in the image node itself.

Laura