[support] Simplenews REcreates Newsletter eMail for EACH subscriber?!?

AD Marshall admarshall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 10:00:33 UTC 2006

Project:Simplenews Version:4.7.0/4.6.x Component:Code Category:support
Priority:normal Assigned:Unassigned Status:active

[Same issue also posted as http://drupal.org/node/71000, under Drupal site,
Simplenews <http://drupal.org/project/simplenews> »
issues<http://drupal.org/project/issues/simplenews>]

Does anyone know if the simplenews.module REcreates each email before it
sends to each subscriber or not? It appears to do this.

Our newsletter takes hours to send and is sent out with a ridiculously long
node "Title" (which is used as the email's subject line). During the
cron-run part of the delivery of our last issue, I changed the node's title
to a shorter one that would not overflow out of the SimpleNews
subscription/previous-issues block and the subject line of the emails being
sent out changed accordingly *as the issue was being delivered*.

Alone, this behaviour poses a possibility of easy screw-ups for unwitting
and/or non-admin users. But if it also means the email is being re-generated
for each subscriber, it would seem like an unnecessary and potentially
dangerous drain on server resources. Why couldn't the email be generated
once and re-sent to all subscribers after the first one?

Am I misunderstanding this or is this what is actually happening? If it is,
can anyone suggest a way I could quickly modify the simple.module or related
code to have the mail generated only once?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Andi

--
AD (Andi) Marshall
Cell: +84 (0)903871313
eM: admarshall at gmail.com
Zone: ICT (IndoChina Time, GMT/UTC+7)
Post: HoChiMinh City (ex/or SaiGon), VietNam