[support] Have no access to menus on two of my sites

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Tue May 23 21:19:47 UTC 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Dan Robinson wrote:

> 1) Check the apache logs for php errors
> 2) increase the time allotted to each php invocation - depending on
> the
> site/configuration you may have to adjust in both PHP as well as
> apache.
>
> It is not uncommon (in my experience) for the admin pages to take a
> long
> time to load - it may be that your DB server performance is
> degrading  -
> in a shared hosting arrangement with the larger ISPs this is pretty
> common.

I've had to deal with sites performing poorly on shared hosting
arrangements, until I finally gave up on them and moved all but a
handful to virtual and dedicated hosting. But I have never had admin
pages take a minute to load, unless the server was already under a
high load or having some serious problems.

I suggested running a table repair as a rule-out kind of thing b/c
corrupt tables can slow down performance and prevent some (or all)
pages from loading at all. It's just one idea, perhaps not helpful.
Maybe mere table optimization would help. Even timing out at 30
seconds seems excessive, unless the hosting environment is way
underpowered or overburdened.

Since Liza reports this is happening on 4.5 and  4.6, though, it does
seems strange that only the menus admin page is affected on both sites.

Laura

pingVision, LLC
4450 Arapahoe Ave, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80303