[support] Change to home page location

Halter, Shari SHalter at ThorntonTomasetti.com
Fri Nov 10 19:21:12 UTC 2006

I have a site, call it mysite.com.

My site lives in the following directory on a Debian linux server:
/export/devhome/mysite.com/htdocs.  Drupal was installed here.  It ran fine.

Administration deemed, after the site was in place, that site home page
needed to be changed to http://mysite.com/home <http://mysite.com/home> ,
rather than http://mysite.com <http://mysite.com> .  (The URL MUST appear
exactly this way)  So I made a directory, /home, under htdocs.  [I've been
told by our sysadmin that Apache mod_rewrite, symbolic linking and other
server redirect methods wouldn't work].

My home page would initially not run here (complained first about includes,
then modules) so I had to make a separate copy of mostly everything
(includes, modules, misc, etc. everything except for database) in htdocs and
duplicate it in /home.  It now works fine, from both locations.

The $base_url was left, in sites/mysite.com/settings.php, as
http://mysite.com <http://mysite.com> .

Questions/issues:

1.  Is it really necessary to have those Drupal files in both locations
(htdocs and htdocs/home)?

2.  My "Administer" -> "Settings" page in Drupal is complaining that it no
longer has access or permissions in the /file directory, despite my having
used chmod 755 . to adjust permissions on the directory and the files
within.

Thanks,
Shari

Shari L. Halter
Web Programmer, Corporate Services
Thornton Tomasetti
51 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10010
T 917.661.7800  F 917.661.7801
D 917.661.7970
SHalter at ThorntonTomasetti.com

The information in this email and any attachments may contain
confidential information that is intended solely for the
attention and use of the named addressee(s).  This message or
any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or
retained by any person without authorization from the addressee.
If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender
immediately, and delete this message.