[support] block with latest 3 sticky posts

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Fri Oct 20 07:46:04 UTC 2006

Mohammed,

If you struggle with the views module, I will help set it up for you
when I get a moment. Alternatively I can write a quick SQL query in a
block that will do this for you. I am not sure if the entire Views
module  is needed for such a small block.

Regards,

Kobus

PS: Laura, I doubt Mohammed would mind me saying this - he is blind, so
Views may be a bit daunting for him. I have to take my hat off for
Mohammed for trying so hard to make things work under his circumstances,
and managing most of the stuff without contacting the help list. He has
been using Drupal since 4.6.1 or something like that, and I have helped
him a few times off-list to get some stuff done. Perhaps we should get a
team together to focus specifically on usability for visually impaired
users in the next version (> 5.0) of Drupal? Comments?

On Oct 19, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Mohammed Al-shar' wrote:

> lora,
>
> thank you.
>
> but don't you think that the views module isn't easy at all? I
> tried it but couldn't do anything with it. I saw it as being very
> difficult. is there some book that explains it more? I know it's
> powerful.

Try taking an existing view, and clicking "clone." That way the
obvious stuff is already filled in. Things to remember:

1) You need a page if you want people to see all your sticky posts.

2) You need a block, obviously.

3) You will want to have filters. Musts would be node is sticky, node

is published. You can add taxonomy, author, other conditions as you
like. Try it out, and see what happens.

4) You probably don't need to deal with arguments.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Laura