[support] Search results not showing up.

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sat Oct 21 08:00:17 UTC 2006

I think we have solved a FAQ problem here! So I am cross posting to the docs
ML, hope they can do something with this.

Op zaterdag 21 oktober 2006 00:10, schreef Laura Scott:
> The two sites I've seen this so far were recently migrated, and I
> typically don't migrate search indexes, so they were indexed very
> recently. This is a mystery, but might point to a problem.

It is not a mistery, and it pointed me to the right place. :)

The progress of search index is maintained separate from the index itself. You
can migrate a database, without the index, and Drupal will think indexing is
completed, while it is not. Drupal does not acutally check the status and/or
health of the index, it noly checks for that progression variable.

That gave me a good lead and I found four different causes that may be the
root of all evil:
 * corrupted tables. repairing seems to have solved this issue on two sites.
 * cron choking on aggregator importing an invalidated feed (sounds like a
core bug to me!). aggregator made cron not finish running.
 * three tables got 'skewed' during development and migration. Cleaning that
out completely, solved the problem.
 * one site got a 'memory exhausted' during cron.  Never seen it appear on the
web-front-end, and since cron did not mail/print anything, I never noticed
it . "memory exhausted" does not appear on the watchdog.

Op vrijdag 20 oktober 2006 17:15, schreef Jason Flatt:
> It would be nice to know why they were corrupt.  Was it just solar flares,
> or is there something in the Drupal cron run (or somewhere else) that is
> causing it.

Drupal cron, on my server is not optimal configured. I run it every 16 minutes
on all sites on that server (100+), which means high peeks at certain random
moments.
* 16 minutes, because its one-off from 15 and therefore does not hit at the
round hour.
* 16 minutes, because on most sites in 16 minutes hardl anything happened.
make it 1 hour, and you'll see peeks.
* all sites at once, because that is easy to maintain in the hosting software.
This should avoid peaks, but still, if I put a site online after development,
or import a database, or any other off-usual-run thingy, then peaks do occur.

Bèr
 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc

Drupal repareert drie lekken, waarvan één kritiek:
 http://help.sympal.nl/drupal_repareert_drie_lekken_waarvan_een_kritiek