[support] block with latest 3 sticky posts

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Mon Oct 23 07:36:37 UTC 2006

>> PS: Laura, I doubt Mohammed would mind me saying this - he is blind,
so Views
>> may be a bit daunting for him.
>
> Not to mention the ironic naming of the module, in this case.

Indeed! Nothing like a bit of dry humour on a Monday morning :-)

> Firstly, any kind of AWG (for brevity) would need the support of
those who
> are in a position to actually do something about "enforcement" in
> contributed and core code.

I agree. An absolute must. No use in writing code that will not get
into Core.

> The _core Drupal theme_ should be 100% valid markup and should pass a
508
> accessibility test.

I believe there will be more than 1 Core theme, but yes, that is
correct.

> In short:  Yes, Kobus.  We need an accessibility group.  Even to
"endorse" a
> theme as drawing "accessible" markup or not is a worthy goal.

Talking about accessible theme. I wonder how much of accessibility can
be addressed in the theme. I suspect a lot of code in Core will have to
change, or am I mistaken?

> As Drupal starts to include more rich application components (AJAX,
for
> example) these issues become even more important than ever before.
Now is
> the time for Drupal to get serious about being fully accessible,
before core
> technologies get embedded in such a way that improving accessibility
becomes
> increasingly complicated and time-consuming.

A very valid point. I am wondering if this shouldn't have started
before. With all the new technologies, it becomes easier for
non-developers to add inaccessible code/markup. Take TinyMCE for
example. Although it has a decent enough warning when you don't add an
"ALT" attribute to an image you inserted, or a "TITLE" attribute to a
link, most non-coders/or "bad coders" will simply ignore that and
continue adding code.

Looking forward to seeing some (and getting involved in some) action!

Kobus