[support] faqs

inkfree press inkfree at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 14:27:32 UTC 2006

"Kobus Myburgh" wrote:

> Depending on what the format of your FAQs look like, there may be different
> ones for this purpose.
>
> Ideally, a FAQ question in my definition thereof would consist of:
>
> 1. Question
> 2. Brief Answer
> 3. Further reading material, such as a link to a full page with info about the
> question
>
> It may be needed to write a new (simple) module to handle this, and then
> assign a term e.g. FAQ to it, and then use a menu item (or primary or
> secondary link) to point to all posts with that taxonomy term (category).

Other possible choices/combos:

Book module -- Organize FAQ sections, printable as PDF, export/import as XML

Forum module -- Nice organization system, Forums and Topics for organizing
(by taxonomy, too)

Case module -- Each 'project' is a FAQ topical area, each 'case' is an
actual Question/Answer

Can-Not-Remember-Name module -- There is a module where users can post a
question, mark it 'open' for some time, and solicit/compile answers to the
question. This might make a good User-supplied communal FAQ builder.

CCK + Views -- Build your own FAQ node, use Taxonomy terms to organize the
sections/questions and view it in a number of ways.

There are, as usual, many possible combinations which might work generically
(without writing a new module.) Otherwise, some simple hacks to an existing
module (like just changing hard-coded strings, like from 'Case' and
'Project' to 'Question' and 'Topic', for example, and then editing table
names for your purposes) could make a plug-and-play clone from an existing
module.

(Sometimes, for me, only the "language" (of the metaphor) of the module
needs to change but the basic functionality is right on.  (I mean, a "case"
might not need to be called a "case", but the premise of the module is the
same.  In this case, I simply Clone and Clean to make a "new" module with no
code changes.)

--
inkfree