[support] Seeking module combo recommendations

inkfree press inkfree at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 13:56:12 UTC 2006

Hello all.

I've been reviewing modules for 4.7.x to find a combination suitable for
building a collaborative code library [more below].  I am unsure of which
way to proceed and so I'd like to seek recommendations for a solid system.

Please advise based on this short usage scenario:

GOAL: A short-snippet and full script code library capable of taking script
attachments.  The code language is AppleScript. Code should be
code-highlighted for this language. Code should be able to be organized by
'section' [i.e., "Finder scripts", "PhotoShop scripts", "shell scripts", and
so on with flexible categories/sections.]

SUB-GOALS: Users should be able to download any attached scripts
(AppleScripts) to a code node as well as download a whole (gzipped?) package
of code snippets from an entire section.

Thus far, I've experimented with a couple of combinations.

Code Highlighting:

I have GeSHi basically working (it's wonky and inconsistent, but it's
getting there...the modules for this integration are pretty ill but at least
there is something to work with.)

Script Organization:

- I have tried using the Forum module, which is good organizationally. I
have not found an easy method for downloading an entire forum as a kind of
"code book" PDF.

- The Book module seems like a very good choice, and I've experimented with
this.  However, we also use the Book module for actual books and so there is
some user confusion as to what is "a book" and what is not really a book,
per se.

- The Case module is also okay and I am using this for a few days now,
posting more and more nodes.  The 'Project' language crosses over to our use
of the actual 'Projects' module [modified], and so we have another kind of
mixed language issue with user understanding.  Also, I have the "whole node
cluster" as PDF issue. [*]

It seems like there are other workable combinations (I'm willing to struggle
with CCK and all the added module and table baggage that comes with, if this
is the recommendation I receive).

It's very difficult to try out every possible combination for this task, but
I just feel like there _is_ a solid combination.  (It's a great thing about
Drupal to allow many ways to achieve a task.  One of the hardest parts is
finding the right metaphor for the task. A code library _is_ like a "book",
a "forum", a "project with cases", and so on. Narrowing down the choices and
finding things that work well together is the tough -- and fun -- part.)

[*] I suppose that what this really means is:  Sequentially combine nodes
[by weight? by alpha-order? by date?] filed under a particular
Taxonomy/Sub-taxonomy into a PDF. (Or, into a 'Book', which I can then PDF.)
Is there such a beast as a Taxonomy->PDF module?

Okay. Thanks for any suggestions as to workable combos.  I'll give nearly
anything a try, so if you have some good experience with something similar,
then please let me know.

Over and out.
--
inkfree