[support] local.module and filtering strings

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Tue Oct 24 21:41:07 UTC 2006

Kobus Myburgh wrote:

> Further more - It seems to be simple to implement an elegant solution
> for this. Imagine being able to filter only messages for a specific
> module. Wouldn't that be just dandy? I will like that feature. I will
> see if I can code it and send a patch. I am not an expert coder though.

This is rather difficult to do. It might be possibly if you only use
imported strings as the comments that the strings have (see the POT
files) indicate from which module they are (Note: We also shorten this
comment field as it gets too long if a string occurs in more than one
module).

However, Drupal also collects untranslated strings as it encounters
them. In this case the comment contains the URL where the string was
encountered. If the string occurs in a block this might be any url and
you can't decide which the original module was.

I wonder if the solution we envision for the translations teams might be
a solution for you: We plan to have a Drupal site where you can
translate any Drupal strings inline, i.e. where they occur on the Drupal
page. This will however rely on JavaScript and I don't know how well
screenreaders support this nowadays.

Cheers,
	Gerhard