[support] 403 Forbidden error when using multiple sites, one drupal

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 13:40:43 UTC 2006

On 14 Sep 2006, at 12:58, Jody Cleveland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to setup my drupal installation to have multiple sites. So,
> in my sites directory, I copied the default directory as
> menashalibrary.org. I created a new database for that site, and
> modified
> the settings.php file in the menashalibrary.org directory to point to
> the database. But, when I go to the url for the site:
> http://www.wals.lib.wi.us/drupal/sites/menashalibrary.org
> I get a 403 forbidden error.
>
> Looking at my server logs, I get this:
> [error] [client 172.30.2.145] Directory index forbidden by rule:
> /var/www/html/drupal/sites/menashalibrary.org/

Requesting http://www.wals.lib.wi.us/drupal/sites/menashalibrary.org
is asking drupal to serve you the default file in the /drupal/sites/
menashalibrary.org directory on http://www.wals.lib.wi.us, not the
site menashalibrary.org.

Apache is returning a forbidden error because the default index file
is set in the .htaccess to be index.php but the only file in that
directory is settings.php.

To have multiple sites working you need to set up the domain
menashalibrary.org in Apache and set the DocumentRoot to your drupal
install, in addition to setting up the database and settings.php.

Hope that makes sense *:)

G.

   Home: http://polytechnic.co.uk
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/garrettc