[support] Calendar, event, and timezone problems

David Maynard dpm at flametree.com
Sun Sep 24 18:33:12 UTC 2006

When I first created a site about a year ago, the 4.6 code was very
inconsistent in the handling of timezones.  It was hard to "fix" the code
because making a change in one place broke other things.  The CivicSpace
distribution I ended up using fixed a lot of these issues compared to the
vanilla Drupal code.  Presumably, those changes should have been rolled
back into the 4.7 code.

However, if you are using flexinode with the events module, I don't know
if you can migrate to 4.7 without problems.  I have been afraid to upgrade
since everything I read says that flexinode doesn't really work with 4.7.
Apparently, the CCK module is the new darling of developers and flexinode
is considered yesterday's news.  However, there are still several other
modules that nobody has ported to work with CCK.  So, unless you have the
time and skills to start porting code, I don't know what to suggest.

The CivicSpace code might be a place to start, but they seem pre-occupied
with their other projects these days and I can't tell if they ever plan to
do 4.7-based CivicSpace release.  (That's fine, it's up to them where they
want to focus, but it's good to know the status before you commit to
something.)

For now, I'm still running a CivicSpace-based site and deciding what to
try next.  I really want to limit the amount of custom code on my site
since I want to hand over maintenance to someone who may not be a PHP
hacker.

-dpm