[support] multisite +OG +CNAME

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 6 12:55:01 UTC 2007

Quoting Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Question from a newbie getting ready to set up a new Drupal installation.
>
> I was wondering if it's possible, and if so, how, vector a domain name
> to an organic group.
>
> E.g.,
>
> www.foo.org CNAME foo.oursite.org
>
> www.oursite.org is a server running multiple drupal sites
>
> foo.oursite.org is a virtual site running at the same IP address as
> www.oursite.org
>
> when someone tries to go to www.foo.org, we'd like them to end up in an
> organic group, within foo.oursite.org
>
> ---
> I assume that I set up a site folder for foo.oursite.org within the
> www.oursite.org tree.

foo.oursite.org web directory contains Drupal correct?

> Since the user will be entering URLs of the form www.foo.org/... - do I
> need to have an alias defined so that the foo.oursite.org folder also
> has the name www.foo.org?

No unless you want to set it up that way or are forced to do so by your
hosting company.

> What do I need to do to get users vectored to an organic group defined
> within foo.oursite.org?

Create a directory named www.foo.org in the sites directory, copy the
default settings.php file to the newly created www.foo.org directory,
modify the copied file for the appropriate database settings declaring
a table prefix, point your httpd config to the same directory as
foo.oursite.org for www.foo.org, and finally point your browser to
http://www.foo.org/install.php.

Drupal will not automagicly run the install for the multi-site configuration.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com