[support] multisite +OG +CNAME

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Apr 6 13:06:31 UTC 2007

Thanks, and a followup....

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Quoting Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>:
>

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Question from a newbie getting ready to set up a new Drupal installation.
>>
>> I was wondering if it's possible, and if so, how, vector a domain name
>> to an organic group.
>>
>> E.g.,
>>
>> www.foo.org CNAME foo.oursite.org
>>
>> www.oursite.org is a server running multiple drupal sites
>>
>> foo.oursite.org is a virtual site running at the same IP address as
>> www.oursite.org
>>
>> when someone tries to go to www.foo.org, we'd like them to end up in an
>> organic group, within foo.oursite.org
>>
>> ---
>> I assume that I set up a site folder for foo.oursite.org within the
>> www.oursite.org tree.
>>

> foo.oursite.org web directory contains Drupal correct?
>

>> Since the user will be entering URLs of the form www.foo.org/... - do I
>> need to have an alias defined so that the foo.oursite.org folder also
>> has the name www.foo.org?
>>

> No unless you want to set it up that way or are forced to do so by your
> hosting company.
>

>> What do I need to do to get users vectored to an organic group defined
>> within foo.oursite.org?
>>

> Create a directory named www.foo.org in the sites directory, copy the
> default settings.php file to the newly created www.foo.org directory,
> modify the copied file for the appropriate database settings declaring
> a table prefix, point your httpd config to the same directory as
> foo.oursite.org for www.foo.org, and finally point your browser to
> http://www.foo.org/install.php.
>
> Drupal will not automagicly run the install for the multi-site configuration.

ok - this gets me my site, but after I do all the install, I'd like to
set up multiple organic groups, and then have the
original URL (the cname www.foo.org get a user all the way to a specific
organic group)

to be a little more concrete:
- we're setting up a site www.newton.org for our town
- we're setting up organic groups for specific areas of interest (e.g.
www.newton.org/sports will be an organic group for things like little
league)
- we'd like www.newtonsports.org to get a user directly to
www.newton.org/sports

it's that last step I'm trying to figure out now

Thanks,

Miles