[support] how to add blocks to place in regions on my home page

Sarah Adams mr.sanders at geekjock.ca
Fri Aug 10 17:35:01 UTC 2007

I have a feeling there will be a very simple answer to this question,
but I've searched and searched in the documentation and I just can't
seem to hit on the right information to guide me.

I'm setting up a new site in Drupal (5.2). I managed to get it installed
and configured with very little problem, and I've created a new theme
and added some content. What I need to do now is set up the home page
for the site, which, instead of having one big area for content, will
have that area divided into four sections, like this
-----------------
|               |
|               |
-----------------
|       |       |
|       |       |
|       ---------
|       |       |
|       |       |
-----------------
each of which needs to be editable by the site owner. I've created
regions by defining them in my template.php file, and added the regions
to my theme so the are now appearing correctly on the home page. I
believe what I need to do next is create some new blocks to place in
those regions, and then the site owner can simply edit those blocks as
needed. So my questions are:

1) Do I have the right idea with creating regions and placing editable
blocks inside those regions?

2) How do I create a new block and ensure that it is editable by the
site owner? I've seen mention a few times that I should to to
"administer > blocks > add block" but I don't see this option in my site
admin; the closest thing to it is "administer > site building > blocks",
but this page does not include an "add block" function.

I have a feeling that either I'm missing some crucial piece of
information, or the documentation I've been reading is not for the
version I'm using, or something in my site config is preventing me from
seeing all the options/functions I should see in my site admin - or some
combination of the above :) Hopefully some kind soul will be able to
point me in the right direction!

TIA,

Sarah

--