[support] Site in development:

J-P Stacey jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Wed Aug 22 14:56:50 UTC 2007

sander-martijn wrote:
> My question is why would you want to or need to?

We're trying to work out ways of passing databases around in a
development/test/production site, so with multiple codebases and multiple
databases. When you do that, you can then be developing for some time before
you realise that your new database's system table is still referencing the
location of the theme/module files on the production or test server. It'd be
nice to make sure automatically every request that that wasn't the case, and
calling those two functions is a way to do it.

> content or template files as I am developing.  A lot less risky than
> putting that code in and risking forgetting about it and going live with
> it.

Shouldn't be a problem: we're also running the Devel module, which is
splurging every single query on every single page in the footer, and
alerting us to our newer module, so it's unlikely we'll forget to turn them
both off. But I take your point, so we'll put it on the project plan anyway.

Cheers,
J-P