[support] Drupal API?

sander-martijn sander at sander-martijn.com
Wed Aug 22 17:26:42 UTC 2007

I personally prefer having search over a printed version of the API.
Also the API doesn't generally have usage examples, instead it provides
the code of the function which is a bit backwards.  I don't know about
printing (but perhaps you could post a request to the documentation list
for them to include a media="print" css file for the api docs - it
shouldn't take someone that long to create).

The pro drupal book is great but isn't organized that well IMHO.  If I
were you I would start with chapters 8 and 9 where it deals with theming
and blocks and work outward from there.  At any rate with the current
state of the documentation the best bet is to just try things.  Figure
out what you need to do, get as granular as possible, search drupal.org
forums first, then the pro drupal book and API docs, then look at the
code yourself and if you still can't figure something out this list will
be very helpful.  That's my order of reference anyway.

Also you'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you always try to find
solutions using existing modules before trying to write any code.
There's so much you can do without writing a line of php.

A-NO-NE Music wrote:
> Drupal API site doesn't have printer friendly version.  I started to
> fetch into Acrobat this morning, and it is still running.  It's about
> 340 pages now, and I am about to abort.  Is there printed version of API
> somewhere?  How others are doing?
>
> Every time I see code example, I get stuck because I don't understand
> the param which are passed.  Do I understand everyone is familiar with
> the API, and the only way to understand the code is to know the API?  I
> am a noob and I would like to learn step-by-step.  I did buy Pro Drupal
> Dev book.  The 2nd chapter goes right into Module without any
> explanation of API.
>
> Appreciate any suggestion.

sander-martijn <mailto:sander at sander-martijn.com>
interface developer | architect