[support] Planning upgrade

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 24 12:25:33 UTC 2007

Quoting A-NO-NE Music <madflute at anonemusic.com>:

> I am planning to go from 5.1 to 5.2.  Do I really have to take the site
> off-line?

For an upgrade to production it is advisable to put the site off line
for a few minutes.  It is up to you as to whether or not you wish to
deal with the fallout or not.

> I am having a major problem synching with local site.  The server time
> stamp seems to be totally off.  Both Transmit and Dreamweaver8 tries to
> download a bunch of files those which are known to be already synched,
> while both of them are missing more important files such as modules.  Is
> there any better option for OSX10.4?

I would suggest a network time protocol daemon for both hosts.  For the
database you may wish to look at the importexportapi module or maybe
the excellent dba module.  For the file system you might look at unix
standards such as rsync.

> I spent entire day to delete a few thousands duplicated images.  This
> has been a nightmare.

It's tough to realize that you've stabbed your own self.

> I do have a stage directory on the server but synching with the live
> directory seems to be almost impossible so I have abandoned it.  My ISP
> only gives FTP access but not Terminal access.  Any suggestion on good
> upgrade practice other than one is documented on Drupal.org, the one to
> take site off-line, would be very much appreciated.

Have you considered using tar?

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/