[support] Planning upgrade

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Fri Aug 24 14:46:30 UTC 2007

>>5. Check the site out so I know if there are database encoding issues
>>that aren't related to the upgrade.... Ignore these if nessecary.

>Not sure if I understand this.  What is the db encoding issues related
to the upgrade?

No there aren't typically database issues associated with the upgrade,
but rather with the dump from one verion of mysql (on the server) to
another (on my mac).  Some characters don't come across cleanly.  I
really haven't spent any time trying to research this cause frankly it
doesn't matter to me.  I just check the site out to make sure I know
what problems are caused by the upgrades and what problems arent.

>>6. Do the upgrade locally and make sure everything works.

This is where I get stuck.  The documentation sez move entire directory
to backup directory, install 5.2 as if it is the initial install then
copy necessary files back from the backup directory.  My fear is I don't
think I know all the necessary files to be copied.  I don't remember all
the custom files and hacked module files, and the date stamp, which
could had been the only clue, isn't reliable at this point.

-- Yeah I don't do that.  I normally copy the files in 5.1 to make a
backup, and then copy the unpacked 5.2 files over the top of the
existing 5.1 install, letting it overwrite duplicates.  I copy them all,
and don't use a sync function for this.  I never hack core so this is
safe for me, and I've never had a problem yet.  I suppose if a file ever
got deleted in a .x upgrade this might cause me a problem, but it has
yet to happen.  I use a different strategy for doing something like a
5-6 upgrade. I agree with you that trying to remember all of the custom
files would probably cause more problems than my current strategy.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA <http://a-no-ne.com>
<http://anonemusic.com>