[support] switching away from image module

Jean Gazis jgazis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:23:20 UTC 2007

I have a site in Drupal 4.7 (blog.shostak.net) where the images just stopped
working - the ones that are there are fine, but I can't add new ones, I just
get tons of errors. On another site I fixed that by resetting to defaults,
but I don't want to reset the image sizes to default there. I've left it
alone for now because I planned to upgrade to D5 and change the theme
anyway.

On another site (urbanorganic.jeangazis.com), which is a multisite install,
I have images there but can't add new ones. The files are there, but the
images don't appear. If I use image import, it duplicates the preview and
thumbnails. Something is getting messed up in the path.

I also have a site where I really need it to be easy for users to upload
photos, and it doesn't look like imagefield and imagecache are the answer to
that, either. I might try one of the gallery mods. I've only used the
gallery that comes with image.

So it seems like the module has a reputation for being buggy, and is going
wrong for me in more than one way, so I'm interested in alternatives. I'd
prefer that they don't require custome theming, though, because I haven't
gotten into that yet.

Jean

On 8/28/07, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:05:23 -0400
> "Jean Gazis" <jgazis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello helpful people!
>
> > I have been using the image and image assist modules for images on
> > my sites. I've had some problems with them, and when I looked at
> > the issues list for image I was not thrilled, there are a lot of
> > them. It seems like everyone in the local user group (NYC) uses CCK
> > imagefield with imagecache instead for their sites. I'm thinking I
> > should just go ahead and switch. What's the best way to go about
> > it? Will uninstalling the modules cause further problems? Will I
> > have to recreate all the image content?
>
> > I have simply images in posts, and some image galleries.
>
> Very recently I've installed gallery for gallery2 and Image.
> The former because gallery gives a lot of options for uploading
> images, because it support video and embedded content from other
> sites (flickr, youtube).
>
> I used Image on my personal site because I need a very clean method
> to build up simple galleries.
>
> I find that tweaking the layout of Image is much easier than tweaking
> gallery + gallery2.
>
> What do you think the shortcomings of Image are?
>
> --
> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
> http://www.webthatworks.it

Jean Gazis
www.jeangazis.com
www.boxofrain.us

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it." - André
Gide