[support] Miserable Installation Process

Tom Holmes Jr. tom at tomholmes.net
Wed Dec 5 17:48:02 UTC 2007

ok ..............  deep breaths .... (in through nose, out through
mouth) ......
(in through nose, out through mouth) ......
(in through nose, out through mouth) ......

Per the many suggestions ... I've spent the last three hours trying to
get Apache/PHP setup.
Apache 2.2.6 is working fine ....
I downloaded gunziiped PHP 5.2.5 ... untarred, and started to go through
the Apache2/PHP Unix installation as found here:
http://us.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php

The instruction say ....
./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-mysql

So, I did this and got the error message:
"configure: error: Cannot find MySQL header files under yes."

On the thread located on this page, one user quoted .....
"| There is little or no documentation regarding the fact that MySQL
Client Library isn't bundled with PHP anymore.  The installation
instructions need to be changed with, at the very least, some
instructions for how to get PHP to recognize that the client library is
installed.  I realize that this may be a problem with licensing and as
such, it's not possible to document too much regarding MySQL..."

Other messages seem to indicate that either:
a) MySQL has to be on that box now in order to get the libraries
b) you have to download mysql and compile it in order to get the libraries.

Can some PLEASE (and I am beggin now) please point me where I can get
the PHP MySQL libraries so I can finish configuring my PHP with Apache,
so I can correctly test Drupal 5.3 on that system ....
Or ................. should I just use an older version of PHP 5.x that
DOES have these mySQL libraries ....

==========================================================================================================================
As you might remember from previous messages ... I did two installs of
Drupal 5.3 on Resin.
One one machine (my laptop) Drupal-Resin-MySQL were all on one machine
and it ran without issues.  Perfectly fine!

In our real-world work environment ... reasonably so, the MySQL Server
is on another machine/server and run by MySQL DBA's.
And when I did a Resin/Drupal install ... it worked ... but then started
to break ....
but that could have been on modules issues or something else ....

I certainly know (ok, i presume) that Drupal 5.x will perfectly work on
Apache/PHP on one machine while the database resides on another machine.
Right!

I've provided as much information as I have ... if you need more  ...
please ask me nicely ....

Please ... I am begging again ... help me with install PHP with the
Mysql Libraries so I can finish configuring it and setting it up.