[support] Installing php/mysql issues

Tom Holmes Jr. tom at tomholmes.net
Thu Dec 6 19:07:22 UTC 2007

That is NOT an option.   My "marching orders" was to get it working on
our shared CentOS server.  It is not windows ... that is NOT an option.

I am PAINFULLY trying to go down the "main path" ...

I spent 10 hours yesterday trying to configre Apache/PHP with mysql
support on that machine ....
I tried to do a virgin download of Apache 2.2.6 and PHP 5.2.5 ... I
found out then that PHP 5.2.5 doesn't have MySQL support ....
I don't care what the reasons are provided I can get the documentation
to tell me how to fix that issue ....
I was told to use the Apache/PHP CentOS packages ... and Anton provided
the link which told me how to correctly how to set that up.
As a result CentOS installs Apache 2.0.43 ... and PHP 4.3.9 with mysql
support ... so there ya go ....
After 10 hours I finally figured my environment was setup correctly ....
that was the tough part ... and no fault of Drupal's ....

Now I have what I think is a "main path" environment ... and yes, I
agree dropping in Drupal should be trivial ....
I did have some permissions issues which I fixed .... and I got the
database installed ....
I even got rid of that damned white-screen of death ....................
Now I get to the page where I create the first account .... I create the
first account ... and now I get to the page where it says Access Denied
and the first user can't login at all or even to the screen where I set
that first password.

I reported the errors I did because I thought that would have pointed to
something stupid *I* did ....
but it seems when I try to create that first new user .... no new error
messages are being generated ....
So .. now I am just doing research on the Drupal Forums .....

I'm sorry ..... but I have found this whole process to be challenging
.... not just the Drupal Installation .............