[support] Editing Primary Links

Tom Holmes Jr. tom at tomholmes.net
Sat Dec 15 01:14:52 UTC 2007

Hey guys .... everything is fine so far, and we are still evaluating
Drupal .... we'll see what happens.

In any event, I have a static web-site that has about 800-900 pages ....
yep almost 1000 static.html pages.
I want to port this to Drupal .... the issue is that every static HTML
page controls the left, right, header, footer of the page .... all of
which I want controll by Drupal.
What is the best way to do this?     And because I have done some
research on this ... I am guessing ....

1) use the "Import HTML" module which I saw and import the web-site ....
that might work for some pages ..... and I could do this for starters.

2) I could manually tear apart and go through the time and conversion to
create proper blocks and remove the main content, the main body, and
then create Drupal Page Content Types for that ....

3) I could create a new Menu system for this site and point to  URLs ...
in this case they'd be files on the local server ... so maybe that won't
work.

Should I even bother to use themes for this site?   I guess I have to
use one theme, so I started creating a new theme from Newsportal.
So ... I was manually converting the first page .... I am modifying the
page.tpl.php to add my own header and images ....
If this was any standard Apache web-site ... the images would be in one
subdirectory under the root ... in this case, I took all the old images
from the site and moved them to the
/sites/all/themes/newtheme/images directory ....
so now in this first page I have to create image src to
"$base_path_url/sites/all/themes/newtheme/images/myimage.jpg"    is
there a better shortcut than that?
I will look at other themes .....

The old web-site had it's own menu-bar at the top of the page, just
under the header of the page.  I presumed that is Navigation?
I turned the primary links on and I get the Home | Create Content | My
Account | News Aggregator | Administer | Log Out
The same as on the right-sidebar.   I want to make the primary links my
own menu.   So, I am guessing I should turn off primary links in the
page.tpl.php and use my own HTML code that was there originally.

So many questions .... so little time ....
If I need to provide any extra data, please let me know .....

And BTW ... Drupal 5.5 on Resin 3.1.4 is rock-solid .... for now .....