[support] Block Styles

sander-martijn lists at severeddreams.com
Thu Dec 27 18:38:02 UTC 2007

you can usually do the css without using the id.  I can vouch that in 5
it can still be an issue.  I recently installed block cache on a site
for performance (it's quite an impressive improvement btw) and the whole
site fell apart because all the ids changed.  I had to go through and
edit all the css finding the new names and adding them in.  Was quite a
pain.

Tom Holmes Jr. wrote:
> Ah ... well, I was looking at the link Bill suggested and as I read
> through the thread, it suggests that I not use the id.
> However the thread refers to drupal 4.7, so I am not sure if it still
> applies to 5.5.
> Someone on the thread suggested that the id may change if you change the
> position of the block.
>
> I agree with you that I should stick with the css route for simplicity.
>
> sander-martijn wrote:
>> You can use either of those options.  the css should go in style.css in
>> your theme folder and the best way to find out the name is to simply
>> messing with the template route.
>>
>> As for using the template route, what you're finding on page 120 is what
>> you need.  The modulename would be the name of the module you're using.
>>   If you're using the standard menu system I think it will be
>> block-menu.tpl.php or block-menu-1.tpl.php or something along those
>> lines.  Then there is also the option of the region as listed -
>> block-left.tpl.php would target the left region.
>>

>>> I'll stick to the more simple solution of css for now ... how do I
>>> figure out the unique id of the block though.
>>> I'm guessing within the block.tpl.php is where I would put this css
>>> data?  That would be fine with me.
>>> It's too bad I can't create a block-menu_name.tpl.php, that would be
>>> much simpler and would seem to keep in line with the other standards of
>>> Drupal.
>>> According to the Pro Drupal Development book on Page 120, we can do:
>>> block-modulename-delta.tpl.php
>>> block-modulename.tpl.php