[support] Module to create a form to subscribe to pdf newsletter

Walter Garcia-Fontes walter.garcia at upf.edu
Fri Dec 28 12:41:01 UTC 2007

I've been looking in the available modules for Drupal 5 for the
following simple functionality. I post a newsletter in pdf format in
my site, and I want to have next to it a "subscribe" link, which if
clicked will open a form where the registered or anonymous user can
enter his subscription information to receive new issues by email. If
submitted the user will get an email to confirm his subscription (to
avoid submitting someone else's email) and once confirmed the email
address will be added to a mailing list, which the admin can use to
send the newsletter in the future.

I've been looking at different existing modules, the closest I found
is "simplenews" but it seems to only send a "html" newsletter.

So:
1) is there a module to do this in Drupal 5?
2) do I need an external mailing list handling system to do this, or
can I do it all within drupal (create the table with emails addresses, let
user's add themselves through the subscription link, let the admin
mass-email the pdf file to the email addresses in the table)

I will also need options for users to auto opt-out from the subscription,
also for anonymous users if I let them subscribe.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona