[support] SQL syntax problems

Tenant tenant at tenant.net
Fri Dec 28 18:31:04 UTC 2007

I'm having a big problem with Drupal clean install. (I've done other
sites before and now they also have this problem)

I uploaded the Drupal 5.5 tarball. In phpMyAdmin I created the MySQL
database drupal-domainname and associated with it a pre-existing SQL
user with global privileges. I then did the install script and create
the admin account as per the instructions.

Here's the problem: I initially added two modules: the Available
Updates module and also System info module. No other modules (yet).
But I did run cron.

So in the System Info, I get:

user warning: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
use near '' at line 1 query: SHOW GRANTS in
/home/domainname/public_html/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 172.

user warning: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
use near '' at line 1 query: SHOW GRANTS in
/home/domainname/public_html/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 172.

The identical line is repeated twice on the System info page as I quoted above.

So this is odd enough. I generally use phpMyAdmin to create the
databases, but when I try it from the terminal using the install
instructions, I get a similar message:

mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX, ALTER, CREATE
-> TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES
-> ON drupal-domainname.*
-> TO 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
use near '-domainname.*

Given that the install is as clean as possible (and I've had no
similar problems with other Drupal installs on the same server until
now) and that it's happening when I use both phpMyAdmin or
mysqladmin, I'm thinking this might be a MySQL problem and not a
Drupal problem.

Any advice and help are really appreciated. Thanks.